Monday 17 February 2020

24 poems by black poets, a Poéfrika list


by Dennis Scott

That August the birds kept away from the village, afraid:
people were hungry.
The phoenix hid at the sun’s center and stared down
at the Banker’s house,
which was plump and factual, like zero.

by Pamela Mordecai

Shit in my mouth. He makes my woman put
her bottom in my face and push her doo-
doo in between my lips. When she stops he
says, "More! You black bitch, more! Shove it out till
it bung a clog inside his throat or I
will strip your back until it makes
a bleeding pair with his."

by Yusef Komunyakaa

The cry I bring down from the hills
belongs to a girl still burning
inside my head. At daybreak she burns like a piece of paper.
She burns like foxfire
in a thigh-shaped valley.
A skirt of flames
dances around her
at dusk.

by Mzwandile Matiwana

I say:
"every drop of my ink will curse your balls"
And my children of my children
will know peace to mix not with your
progeny

by Omotara James

When they send the robot to replace me, do not be gentle
with it. Place these chords where its heart chakra should be.
Do not speak to it of a fountain— tell it, in the middle of
its life, there will be a flower: a blooming petalled trauma.

by Derek Walcott

Merely to name them is the prose
Of diarists, to make you a name
For readers who like travellers praise
Their beds and beaches as the same;
But islands can only exist
If we have loved in them.

by Jamaal May

In the beginning
there was the war.

The war said let there be war
and there was war.

The war said let there be peace
and there was war.

by June Jordan

A few years back and they told me Black
means a hole where other folks
got brain/it was like the cells in the heads
of Black children was out to every hour on the hour naps
Scientists called the phenomenon the Notorious
Jensen Lapse, remember?

by Warsan Shire

Mother says there are locked rooms inside all women; kitchen of lust,
bedroom of grief, bathroom of apathy.
Sometimes the men - they come with keys,
and sometimes, the men - they come with hammers.

by Tyehimba Jess

My God is the living God,
God of the impertinent exile.
An outcast who carved me
into an outcast carved
by sheer and stony will
to wander the desert
in search of deliverance
the way a mother hunts
for her wayward child.

by Rethabile Masilo

Tonight, I go to bed
with images of Maria Conçepcion in my head,
and Walcott beckoning from the edge of the sea
with honey dripping from the tips of his fingers.

by Kwame Dawes

I learned a sports car, red, muscular open roads,
a fit body, a smile, are reliable as a visa,
a path to understand the tears of a woman,
as I understood menstruation or perms:
their business is mostly inexplicable, crazy, and
nothing to do with me. I learned to be able
to say, "You did not come? Not sure why—
I did. Try harder, next time."

by Geoffrey Philp

Years later, my father would try
to explain, why after shoveling dirt
for three hours in the vault of a neighbor’s
son, he’d abandoned me in an empty grave.
And no matter how much I wailed,
"Pa, the duppies are coming after me,"
he calmly chiseled the boy’s name...

by Kamau Brathwaite

on the first day
of yr death it is quiet it is dormant like a doormat
no one-foot touch its welcome. its dust on the floor
is not disturb nor are the sleeping spirits of this house

by Chris Abani

It’s like flying in your dreams, she said. You empty
Yourself out and just lift off. Soar. It’s like that.

by Ladan Osman

Tonight is a drunk man,
his dirty shirt.

There is no couple chatting by the recycling bins,
offering to help me unload my plastics.

by January Gill O'Neil

Make peace with what cannot be seen
and what you do not know.
Try not to enter the pond scum,
the algae that swirls
in dark, empty rooms called water.

by Nikki Giovanni

I came to the crowd seeking friends
I came to the crowd seeking love
I came to the crowd for understanding

I found you.

by Margaret Walker

I want to write
I want to write the songs of my people.
I want to hear them singing melodies in the dark.
I want to catch the last floating strains from their sob-torn
throats.

by Ishmael Reed

Being a colored poet
Is like going over
Niagara Falls in a
Barrel.

by Robert Hayden

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

by Claudia Rankine

Some years there exists a wanting to escape—
you, floating above your certain ache—
still the ache coexists.
Call that the immanent you—

by Dudley Randall

Musing on roses and revolutions,
I saw night close down on the earth like a great dark wing,
and the lighted cities were like tapers in the night,
and I heard the lamentations of a million hearts
regretting life and crying for the grave,
and I saw the Negro lying in the swamp with his face blown off,
and in the northern cities with his manhood maligned and felt the writhing
of his viscera like that of the hare hunted down or the bear at bay,
and I saw men working and taking no joy in their work
and embracing the hard-eyed whore with joyless excitement
and lying with wives and virgins in impotence.

by Bob Kaufman

A terror is more certain than all the rare desirable popular songs I
know, than even now when all of my myths have become . . . , & walk
around in black shiny galoshes & carry dirty laundry to & fro, & read
great books & don’t know criminals intimately, & publish fat books of
the month & have wifeys that are lousy in bed & never realize how
bad my writing is because i am poor & symbolize myself.







No comments: