Saturday 29 February 2020

Grandpa Sydney's Anancy Stories

Jimmy Harrison loves school and his favorite subject is snack time! But when a new boy, Kevin, joins his class, he begins to bully Jimmy and the rest of the children. What’s worse, he begins to take away Jimmy’s snacks. Using the wisdom from his Grandpa Sydney’s story about “Anancy, Snake, and Tiger,” Jimmy overcomes the class bully. And for one Sunday, he reunites his family for dinner. Set in the multicultural environment of South Florida, Grandpa Sydney’s Anancy Stories draws on the rich oral tradition of Anancy stories that are told and re-told in Jamaica and the Caribbean. These Anancy stories, which originated in West Africa, are rich sources of wisdom that have been passed down from generation to generation. Check out the just-published book.

5 comments:

Geoffrey Philp said...

Thank you, Rethabile!

gautami tripathy said...

I will add this to my "to be read" list.

Thanks!

Stephen A. Bess said...

Dumela, abuti. Yes, this is beautiful! I will also put the word out soon. Khotso~

Rethabile said...

Geoffrey,
My pleasure. I hope it is read by as many kids as possible.

GT,
I'm sure you'll love it.

Stephen,
Let's get the word out, yes. It's a nice piece of work.

Kyra said...

Rethabile - I agree, Grandpa Sydney's Anancy Stories is a great read! (By the way, what ties do you have to Maryville College? I just wrote a children's book where the character's father did attend Maryville College in the 1820s.) I lectured at Maryville College in Feb 2007.

Best, Kyra
author, Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria